This is the first post in my leaf dyeing experiments. The first thing I did, after collectiny my leavers, was to press them between the pages of a large phone book over night. Then I spread them out on fabric that had been soaked in soda ash as a mordant. I misted the fabric and laid the leaves down. Next I covered them with a second cloth. rolled the cloths into bundles and tied them. Here are pictures of the lovely colorful leaves.
|Study in Reds|
As you can tell from my photos, I started out with various kinds of fabrics and colors of cloth. I used cotton and linen fabrics. One of the cottons was dyed previously in dry Black-eyed Susan heads. Another had been rust dyed on chicken wire but the print was too faint. I was hoping for a little reaction from the rust and the tannin in the leaves.
Result pictures coming soon.